Search This Blog

Thursday, September 13, 2018

Berlin Here I Come: Pre-Marathon Blog

September 12, 2018 - 3:00 P.M. Eastern Time - Pre-Security Check

And so it begins, the final days of my 15th Marathon training cycle. It feels surreal that I’m traveling to Germany to take on the BMW Berlin Marathon, one of the fastest courses on the planet. And here I am waiting to check in to my flight, jotting down notes for my next blog update. A blog I wish I updated sooner since surviving the Boston Marathon monsoon. Nonetheless, better later than never as I reflect. 

I’ve said this over and over again, the Boston Marathon sucked. It wasn’t enough to make me quit running though. My early motivations to run was ignited by watching my college friend Aliann Pompey run the 400 in the Beijing Olympics on TV (I’ve said this story plenty of times as well). I was a runner in middle school and I wanted to get back to doing things that brought me joy. Engineering had consumed my life for over a decade at that point. Sitting behind the computer all day running calcs, then going home and watching TV. Calcs, TV, sleep, repeat. Sprinkle in bad food, and going out on weekends with your boys, and you had a recipe for a life of pour health filled with anxiety and depression. But when you see someone you know running and see how far they’ve come, it’s inspiring enough for you to make a change. And here I am 10 years later, I’m chasing my 5th Marathon out of the 6 (Already got into Tokyo for March 2019) and getting ready to run my 15th marathon. Ten years from now... or maybe even sooner, someone who read this blog or has been following my social media will trek half way across the world from their home chasing their goal. And on that note, I head to ticketing to check in for my flight to Moscow, a layover before reaching my final destination..... 

September 12, 2018 - 4:40 P.M. - Post Security Check

So I sit here at Gate 8 waiting for my flight after going through security. Last year, when flying out to run London, I missed my flight and nearly missed making it to the expo to pick up my bib, after purchasing the next flight out last minute. So I wait here allowing myself to feel what I’m writing. Get in the zone, while typing and reminiscing on this training cycle: the pounding to my hips (and finally realizing it was piriformis syndrome) being what I’ll remember most. 

A brutally hot summer that didn’t relent. Heat wave after heat wave, followed by thunderstorms and torrential down pours to break the resulting humidity. And I was out there through most of it. I stayed off the treadmill as much as possible contrasting my Boston Marathon Training. But the mileage was still up there, hitting close to 70 miles in a week twice... while consistently alternating my Sunday Long Runs: 18, 20, 18, 20 .... eventually came 22. Thank God for taper! My piriformis took a beating in that peak long run along the Charles. 

Ah yes, the mighty Charles River. I trained heavily along the river as a business student when training for my first marathon. My very first Charles River training run of this Berlin Marathon cycle, before even starting, I run into this year’s Womens Boston Marathon Champion, Desiree Linden. Despite the rough conditions of the 2018 Boston Marathon (“rough conditions” is certainly an understatement), there’s always a better day. And every day I run, whether its good or bad, I run for more than just athletic accomplishment. But for the comradery, the community, the health benefits, and the positive feelings. (As if I needed to say that.. but just in case you didn't know)

September 12, 2018 - 5:35 P.M. - Waiting to Board

Still waiting but we are almost boarding. Where was I? Oh yes, I run more than for just athletic accomplishment. Thoughts of Marathon retirement crossed my mind during the brutal Boston Monsoon, but when you reach the finish. Those thoughts go away... as quick as the weather changes to sunny in Boston the next day. Why resist retirement? Because I started this Marathon runner’s life for a change. And slowly but surely, that change is happening. Is there a final destination? Probably not, but I love where I’m headed. Great new runner friends I meet every year, whether it’s at a New York Road Runners event or a race far from home. Health benefits that has me going to the doctor much less than when I was in my 20s. Old friends that see the change and continue to show their genuine love and support. And those bad friends, that disappeared, because they can never understand. 


Updating my blog as I sit here at JFK ready to board my flight. 
I sit here at John F. Kennedy International Airport, Terminal 1, ready to board my flight to Moscow, and transfer for my flight to Berlin. I sit here grateful, and ready to run whatever race I am meant to run. Taking 14 marathons and a structured, well disciplined training plan by Dr. Henwood. I call him the Doctor because I observed him with other runners and he always seem to have to right prescription for your Marathon running needs. Berlin - Here I come!! 

Some Summer Training Photos

Post Boston Marathon Celebration with long time friends @topace88 and his wife @bleulilie - April 2018


Breaking 19 in my NYRR Speed Series Debut and first time wearing spikes while running with CPTC-NB teammate @mrjoeyoga - July 2018

Clash of the Titans - Waiting with longtime NBR and CPTC-NB teammate and friend, @irondoc949, for the Swim start of my first Olympic Triathlon at the 2XU New York City Tri
My only time on the bike during this training cycle - 25 painful miles during the 2XU New York City Tri.
Meeting Roger Robinson, author of When Running Made History, with CPTC-NB teammate @ronrunsnyc at the  Chicago Rock n Roll half Marathon
Strength training twice a week thanks to my coach, Dr. Henwood, with his structured, disciplined, and intense training plans. 
Saturday morning speed sessions with Dr. Henwood, @jdfnyc, @stoli_runs, and the rest of the #henwoodhounds
Not as many ocean water swim sessions at Brighton Beach as I would have liked. 

September 13, 2018 - 1:52 P.M. - Moscow Time - 

Nine hours in the air, and getting lost in the Sheremetyevo International Airport (SVO) in Moscow, Russia. I can conclude this post by saying that this training cycle was truly one to remember. I did just what I said I would do after finishing the TCS New York City Marathon: Listen to my body more, my coach, and kept consistent with my training - which explains the several DNS's.

- No Aquabike at Quassi Rev 3 in Connecticut as planned.
- No Popular Brooklyn Half to sneak in some more recovery.
- No Cross country races in the late summer since it was too close to Berlin
- No planned relay with friends at the Brooklyn Mile since it didn't match with my marathon training.
- No New York Grand Fondo 100 Mile Ride due to lack of bike training.

I just focus on doing my best in Berlin this Sunday and no matter what happens, I am lucky to be able to make it this far. 

2 comments: