Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

One for the Ages: My 2018 Boston Marathon Part 1

It’s difficult to put into words what happened on Monday, April 16, 2018 in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. A place I once called home for a brief year. Before that, a place I often visited to see family, go on class field trips, or just explore
. On Patriot’s Day, I saw Boston from a whole knew perspective. The way I’ve come to love touring towns: through marathon running. 

Boston: My brief history with this town

Those who closely follow my social media have come to learn that I spent a year in Boston studying international business. It was my first leap towards my interests to international affairs. An accelerated leap that abruptly changed the trajectory of my life, to say the least. One of the best life decisions I ever made back, in the face of an economic downturn. This life change coincidentally aligns with the time I decided to pursue marathon running. 

I was already familiar with Boston. My beloved uncle laid down roots here and I loved visiting my extended family growing up. It was a hop, skip and a jump from southeastern Connecticut, where I lived when my father was stationed at the New London Naval Submarine Base. So there was no magical moment for me, nor nostalgic admiration for those small New England towns that the Boston Marathon course passes through. 

Then what made getting here so special for me? Why did I work so hard for years to finally run the Boston Marathon? Was it to remember some of favorite moments in Boston? My first visit to the Omni Theater, The Museum of Science, the Salem Witch Trials exhibit in Salem, MA, or
biking and running along the Charles River. All these memories are part of my experience with Boston and were in my thoughts as I ran from Hopkinton to Boylston.

Training for the 2018 Boston Marathon

Throwback to 8 years ago: training along the Charles
 River with my international cohorts
I can’t talk about my Boston Marathon experience without shedding some light on my training. I decided to switch my training regimen up from my 2017 marathon. I needed a whole new perspective on my training. So I hired a coach, one who formulated an insightful plan that focused on my marathon weaknesses. It was risky for me to change my methods for the Boston Marathon as I was hoping for it to be my best marathon yet. 

The dreaded hamstring!! I have had a hate-hate relationship with my hamstring screwing up my marathon potential. The good news I was slowly gaining core strength with each marathon training cycle, so those left hamstring strains were less and less a factor in slowing down my marathon times. Coach prescribed more strength training. In the months leading up to the Boston marathon, I was religious about getting those strength workouts in. It was a significant change in how I trained in the past. Bulgarian lunges, Balance toe touches, Step-ups with weights over my shoulders: just to name a few of the exercises. Combine that with an increase in mileage, running more weekly 20+ milers than ever at marathon goal pace. 

“Keep your long runs at or as close to 7 min/mile as possible and all of your shorter distance paces would come down.” Coach emphasized as I slowly saw my long run paces come down. He also introduce me to the mid week long run, where I would run 12 to 14 miles every Wednesday, also at marathon goal or faster pace. My legs were exhausted hitting 76 miles peak, the week before the United Airlines New York City Half. It was great and my legs were feeling strong. I looked forward to strength training, twice a week. I loved running longer distances. 

“Cut back on the speed work to limit strain on your hip.” That was hard to do. I was so used to those track workouts that helped develop some speed so that I can have that kick for late race surges. I complied and left the track alone. I made limited appearances at the Armory in Washington Heights, which ended up being a pleasant advantage to my wallet saving that $20 per track workout. I ended up doing speed work only 4 times this whole cycle if you besides my  strides during taper. I was becoming a true distance runner: Steady pacing and consistent running. I didn't feel sore nor my hamstring didn't feel tender after each distance training run.

When I changed my training methods, I knew going in improvements weren’t going to happen overnight. It would take a couple cycles to get used to this style of training.  I kept up with my biweekly massage regimen and introduced my legs to the Air Relax recovery boot. I also religiously did a recovery run before my strength training, at about 2 minutes less than marathon goal pace to lock in any gains from my long runs. It was great! Running or strength training just about every day.

Terrible Training Weather: Embracing the Treadmill

Winter weather put a damper on many of my outdoor training runs.

I remember the race day weather for the 2016 and 2017 Boston Marathons. Both instances saw hot days that made it difficult for runners to perform their best after mile 20. The heat got the best out of plenty of great runners, and I knew I had to prepare. 

“If race day Boston in mid April is usually hot, let me make sure that my muscles can get used to warming up quickly, like it would in the summer.” I concluded. The treadmill became a welcome addition to my regimen

Now I always hated the treadmill. The mind numbing routine of running in place while a conveyer belt moves under your feet. I JUST CAN’T!! This is DRIVING ME NUTS! I run 25 minutes, than break for a stretch. Another 20 to 30 minutes, than break for some water and another stretch. By the time it is over, I logged in 12 or 15 or even 18 miles some workouts – All at marathon goal pace or faster. I soon figured out that I should allow the machine to randomly change the incline, to prevent overuse injuries to your muscles.

By the time taper came around, I was used to it. I can go the whole 60 minutes if I have to. The treadmill is my friend. An excellent alternative to running outdoors, where mother nature had a great time in the Northeast United States. Every week in March, there was a Nor’easter to throw off my training. An extended period of sub freezing temperatures in January to make matters complicated. Almost a quarter of my miles were on the treadmill (before strength training, on cold days, or at least once a week), and I believe I’m a better runner because of it. 

Extending my charity campaign. 

10 mile long run with Team DetermiNation: from Prospect Park to Central Park
There is something about running for charity that allows me to have more focus and gives my runs a sense of purpose. After 13 marathons (well really after my 12thin London), I knew if I wanted to run my best Boston, I would have to channel some of that focused energy from charity fundraising that has allowed me to succeed in the past. So I signed on for the American Cancer Society’s Team DetermiNation Mini-Series. They let me choose my race and I run to benefit their cause. I signed up through the Illinois Chapter again, and the reconnected me with the New York City Chapter where I was made an Assistant Coach. 

This was by far, the highlight of my training. I was there Tuesday nights in Central Park, and Saturday mornings in Brooklyn’s Prospect Park, helping runners run train for their first half marathon. All were motivated to raise money for cancer research in the process. That energy was amazing. To see their consistent dedication was truly inspirational and put my marathon life into perspective. I was once a first time half marathoner, training while raising money for charity. Who would have thought 9 years later I would be running the Boston Marathon. I knew there would be some future Boston Marathoners from among this group. And it was great to see them lay down their roots for their journey to come.

American Cancer Society - Team DetermiNation Dinner the night
before the 2018 United Airlines NYC Half.

It’s Almost Go Time: 

What was special about making it to the starting line was being among the best. It’s amazing how a  place you are familiar with can transform based solely on the energy of the people there. I was around some amazing people. People who also worked very hard for months or years to get there. 

Three days before the Boston Marathon, I weighed in at 178 lbs, 13 lbs over my Chicago Marathon BQ performance, and 6 lbs over my last marathon in New York City this past Fall. 

“It’ll be fine,” I thought. I may be carrying a little extra this time around but I’m a stronger runner, I’ll muscle through if I have to. 


Long run 2 weeks before Boston - Nassau Blvd in Garden City
as I get acquainted to my new surroundings  in the Long Island suburbs.


No comments:

Post a Comment