Search This Blog

Saturday, November 8, 2014

The 2014 TCS New York City Marathon: A Dream Fulfilled.


Official Marathon PR - 3:19:21
Wow! What can I say? The 2014 TCS New York City Marathon was emotionally overwhelming. Unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. I had to let this one marinate a little bit before I can actually write anything down. I had to make sense of what happened. Saying it was amazing would be an understatement. But it didn’t start out that way. There were some early signs that things weren’t going to be so great. Regardless of what happened, I had made the decision to enjoy this. I dreamed about this for 11 years and worked hard for the past 6 years, to make it to this starting line. I was going to take it all in stride.


The Saturday before the race: I returned to Brooklyn from Paramus, New Jersey, after getting my teeth cleaned, the original plan was to drop my bag with a change of clothes for marathon day at the Jack Rabbit Store in Park Slope. During the marathon registration process, I had chosen the “No Baggage” option because I didn’t want to be bothered with bag retrieval after the marathon. There was also an incentive to choose this option where runners would get a free heat poncho once we completed the race. I figured I could get a free poncho and still drop my bags off at the Jack Rabbit store (best of both worlds). The bag drop off was closed as they had already taken the bags to their Upper West Side store on West 72nd Street. I had just missed it be about 15 minutes. This actually made things difficult because it made me reconsider any plans I had with friends post-marathon.

Whatever! Take it all in stride. Disappointing? Yes. But don’t let it steal your joy. So I went for my final massage to relieve the lingering tightness in my Lehigh left hamstring injury. Then did my final carb load, taped up and went to bed. This time I applied KT Tape on both my hamstrings (as well as my routine knees and calves) in case the hamstring injury came back, I would at least have some muscle support and help in reducing any resulting pain. I prepared 4 salt tablets in a small zip lock sealed plastic bag stored in my SPIBelt. Last but not least, I decided to experiment with the athletic tape given to runners by Airbnb at the expo. The last couple of marathons I noticed I had tightness in my shoulders at the end of the run. I have been accused by fellow runners of crunching up my shoulders towards the end of my runs. It’s considered bad form and from time to time I always try to relax the shoulders and shake it out to encourage blood flow. Also, I am known to run with a knapsack during training so that could be the reason why I naturally tend to crunch my shoulders. I figured I would try the Airbnb athletic tape would provide any support for any pain that might occur in my shoulders during the marathon.

Race morning: I woke up to a text message from a friend in Connecticut hoping that I “break a leg”. Of course, in the acting world that would be a great thing, but in marathon world, that isn’t exactly the thing a runner wants to think about pre-race. But I knew what she meant and I thanked her for the well wishes. It’s nice that someone was thinking of me at 4:30 AM right before the biggest marathon of my life. Especially when they aren't running one. 

I continued to browse through my phone looking for any updates by the New York Road Runners as they usually do on race mornings. A buddy of mine on social media and my North Brooklyn Runner’s club posted a picture of him and his clothes that he would throw away once the race started. At that point I started thinking about my GoreTex windbreaker jacket I bought at the Road Runner Sports store back when in my Team In Training days. I knew it would be a cold morning and I chose that jacket to wear to keep me warm in the Start Village. I had come to terms with donating that jacket after 6 years of running with it during cold winters, which included cold mornings on the George Washington Bridge in the middle of January and running on the Brooklyn Bridge during Superstorm Sandy. Ironically, on my way to the Staten Island Ferry, I ran into him. After hearing me recount all the great running memories I had with the jacket, he offered to keep the jacket with his baggage for me so that I wouldn’t have to part with it. Yes it was old and faded, but it was clear that I had a sentimental attachment to it.



Staten Island Start Village: Arriving on Staten Island via the ferry, the shuttle bus to the corrals, and hanging out with some of my NBR teammates allowed for the three hours before the start to go swiftly. I spent about an hour in the Green Wave E Corral, performing my pre-marathon rituals of emptying out, stretching, and taking some gels so that I can be loose and ready for the start. The gun went off and I crossed the start at about 9:45 A.M. with just my running shorts, singlet, arm warmers, gloves and headband.  Other runners kept their jackets and Dunkin Donuts beanies on for the first mile as we took on the nasty cross-wind gusts on the Verrazano Bridge. For years I have heard rumors about the “Rain of Death” for those running the lower level of the bridge. However, announcers before the race emphasized in multiple languages that anybody peeing on the bridge would be disqualified. And I didn’t notice any moisture flying my way as I ran considerable slower that first mile. 


Brooklyn: Upon leaving the bridge and seeing people giving high fives to the cops keeping guard, that was when I felt like the race had started. The wind was still blowing, but it wasn't as bad as on the Verrazano. I had decided after that rough start that no matter what happened, I was going to ENJOY this one. Since I was in the Green wave, I got to run down Fort Hamilton Parkway to about 78th Street and crossed the 5K mark at about 23 minutes into the race. This was a slow start and I didn’t care. As soon as I turned that corner up 4th Avenue, that was when the energy from the sea of people hit me. It was incredible. So many little kids sticking their hands out to get high fives from the runners, I rounded the corner and just started slapping five. And if I didn’t get every kid, his or her faces were disappointed. I must have given and received love from at least 30 kids in the first 300 meters along 4th Avenue. With my name on my shirt I just heard “DAVID” and “NBR” in thick Brooklyn accents while the rest of cheers sounded like white noise.

I had to move to the middle of the road so that at least attempt to run my race. With so much energy and adrenaline, I easily made up for my slow start by running the next 4 miles down 4th Avenue oscillating between 6:30 and 7:30 min/mile pace. I would at times catch myself going too fast and it was a good thing for friends spotted along the route to slow me down as I ran through Park Slope. 
Dedicated the run to my friends I traveled to
Geneva with earlier in the year.

As I passed the Barclay Center, I began thinking about maintaining my marathon stride and holding form for the rest of the race. Runners from Switzerland and spectators in the crowd with Swiss flags yelled my name, pointed at me, and one even patted me on the shoulder telling me he was from Geneva. I had written a thank you sign on the back of my singlet to NYU’s Center for Global Affairs for letting me tour the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland with them earlier in the year. From Fort Green to Williamsburg, the Swiss runners and spectators were going strong. Then I hit the North Brooklyn Runners water table at mile 12. Gatorade, cheers, and love fueled me as I regained form to run this familiar stretch of the route.


SPIBelt with MetroCard attached.

It wasn’t until I hit the Pulaski Bridge that my SPIBelt started annoying me. The MetroCard holder hanging off my belt kept dangling as I kept using my hands to place it in my shorts pocket hoping it would stay there. I would play with this thing until the Queensboro Bridge, when I realized I had to hike my shorts up allowing it to stay stable in my pocket. Another annoying problem was my arm warmers. I wore different arm warmers where one didn’t have the same elasticity as the ends as the other. So I kept fiddling with the sleeve, rerolling them up my arm as I kept my legs moving. Proper runner’s form was out the window.


Queensboro Bridge and First Avenue: The crowds dissipated once I entered the bridge. I had mentally prepared myself for this part of the race for a long time. Luckily, the many distractions I had leading up to that point prevented me from running too fast early in the race which allowed me to run up and down the steep elevation changes with consistent flow. I saw an NBR teammate yell, complaining the race was over for them. This portion of the race was brutal - Runners and the bridge - No cheers from any crowds - Just runners either maintaining or slowing down in pain. It was the first separator.

Now all along the marathon route when I spotted a North Brooklyn Runner I would give them a fist bump. In the vast sea of runners and spectators, seeing that North Brooklyn Runners logo does remind you of training. It forces me to regain form, which I did as I exited the Queensboro Bridge.  However, at that point the first signs of fatigue started settling in and I knew I had to make adjustments. I decided to take my first salt tablet as I ran through the cheering crowds on 1st Avenue. At almost mile 17 I unzipped my SPIBelt to reach for the tablets I had stored. For about half a mile I had a hard time opening the reseal-able bag as I kept my legs moving. I finally managed to puncture the bottom of the bag and two tablets went flying out. At that point, I caught a hamstring strain as I approached the water station. I immediately went to the side to slow down but I didn’t stop. I stayed calm, took the dosage, and headed to the water station for Gatorade. 


The pain forced me to slow down as I still had one tablet left, so I remained calm. I slowly regained form with one tablet in my SPIBelt. Although it was cold, at that point in the race, I started throwing water on my body at water stations, not worried about the last tablet melting away as it did in previous races. I was determined to stay calm and focused, through all the energy with people in the crowd yelling my name. At that point in the race, people would make eye contact and I would move forward behind my sunglasses. Little kids would stick their hand out on the Upper East Side and East Harlem, and I would decline the high five. I just wanted to finish.

The Boogie Down Bronx: Mentally I was ready for the Willis Ave. Bridge. I was careful not to put to much pressure on my left leg as I approached the bridge. The electrolytes from the salt tablet were working and the KT Tape on my hamstring provided the pain relief necessary for my confidence in overcoming this bridge. When I took on the incline, I found myself changing my stride in such a way that I put most of my weight on my right leg to avoid any heavy lifting on my left leg. I soon found my pace down to almost 9:00 per mile as it looked like I was hopping on one leg up the bridge. Noticeable pressure was felt in my right quad and calf muscle. I attempted to regain form once I past the incline and made the left turn onto East 135th St. Right before I came to a complete stop with the pain in my left hamstring much worse than before. I took the last tablet and drank Gatorade. Apparently, my coming to a complete stop angered a fellow female runner as she pushed me out of her way to get her fluids as I stood clutching my hamstring. 
Practically hopping on one leg as I enter The Bronx 
A quick massage on my hamstring and I started running again. Hopefully these tablets will kick in and I can pick up the pace. It felt like the race was completely over, but I didn't panic nor did I despair. I managed to maintain an 8:00 min/mile pace as I navigated the turns and back roads in the Bronx, up until the Madison Avenue Bridge. As I re-entered Manhattan, the consistent pain in my left leg didn’t prevent me from picking up the pace.

Re-entered Harlem, 5th Avenue Mile, and Central Park: The tablets were working. The energy from the crowds in Harlem and gave me the adrenaline rush to push me forward. I paid little attention to my watch at that point, focusing only on the pain and propelling myself forward. I remained calm and was determined to keep my legs moving.

I had expected the stretch of 5th Avenue to be difficult as I heard plenty of runners talk about how the slight incline prevented runners from finishing strong. I felt the opposite. It was there I caught my second wind and brought my pace down to sub-7:30 minutes per mile. Pain still in my leg, I was determined to finish strong. The rolling hills in Central Park had little effect on my pace because at that point I focused on managing the pain in my leg and applying my foot strikes based on the level of pain I was experience. So on an uphill, it would seem like I am skipping up the hill on my right leg, but on a downhill I would surge and allow for my pace to pick up with minimal energy spent.


I was relieved when I reached the straight away on 59th Street. As I was making the right turn, I glanced at my watch and realized I still had a chance at a personal best marathon. I spotted a North Brooklyn Runner teammate ahead of me. As I did throughout the marathon, I would catch up and offer motivation, a congratulations, and a fist bump. I caught him with about 800 meters to go and I yelled, “North Brooklyn, c’mon lets move, only 800 to go.” That energy caused me to lose focus on my leg as I could feel the cramp coming back.

A PR Finish: As my leg started to cramp up, I thought to myself, “Hell no, not now!” I knew I was so close to the finish and resolved to ignore any pain, any cramps and surge ahead into a 6 minute-sprint that probably would have done permanent damage. The finish was too close and I was yelling in agony from the pain. But it didn’t matter. About 10 meters from the finish line, I just raised my arms in happiness as if I was ready to hug the “Finish” sign above.


It was OVER! With emotions flying, I quickly looked at my watch and saw 3:19, then pressed stop. I knew I had unofficially achieved a PR. Let’s just hope my watch was in sync with the official timekeeper. As I looked up ready to retrieve my medal, 2 feet past the finish line marker were Winston and his wife, Yannie, offering me congratulations. Now that was special. The first person you see at the finish line is your friend of almost 20 years fully supporting your journey. Seeing them there felt amazing and I didn’t expect it.



The Takeaway: Those who follow me on Facebook know about the inspirational quotes I post from time to time. As I was coming off of the emotional high from the marathon this week, this one in particular, posted November 4, caught my attention:

Today's Inspirational Quote:
"The worst thing that happens to you may be the best thing for you if you don't let it get the best of you."
-- Will Rogers

A lot of bad things happened to me from a marathoner’s perspective. Those include not properly planning my baggage, to the nasty crosswinds on the bridges. The many distractions along the course such as dangling MetroCard and annoying sleeves. And of course injuries that slowed and stopped me, while being pushed to the side by a female runner, as I was agonizing in pain. The thought of stopping and walking crossed my mind several times. It was a good thing these prevented me from going out too fast. And the energy and love I received from all the spectators, consistently hearing my name throughout the white noise along the entire course fueled my focus and determination. Panicking like I’ve done in previous marathons was not an option. I never had the feeling of desperation as experienced in past marathons. This 26.2 mile journey was all about keeping my head strong. Something I have not been good at in the past.

There is a great deal of mental stamina involved in marathon running. If I can continue to work on balancing mental self control with physical performance, I’ll surely qualify for the Boston marathon sooner rather than later. After my performance at Lehigh, I knew that qualifying for Boston in New York City, with all the physical therapy sessions and injury recovery massages during my training, wouldn't happen. But a marathon PR in these windy conditions is a lot more than I could ask for. I am certainly satisfied. My New York City Marathon debut and first World Marathon Major is an absolute success. And it brings closure to an 11-year pursuit finally realized.




No comments:

Post a Comment