Search This Blog

Friday, July 22, 2011

A Vision Blog - Setting Our Sights

The good news is, with each blog post I am getting more and more readers. The bad news is I am writing in this blog less frequently. Is it because of the NYC Summer heat where I naturally run less, thus less to blog about? Or is it that I just can’t see myself sitting here and thinking of something clever to write about that falls in line with the blog’s theme? Whatever the case, I can probably come up with a world of excuses as to why I am not writing more and why I am not training as hard as I used to. And I can probably think of things that might happen in the future that may prevent me from staying focused on my NYC marathon goal.

But that would be wasted energy. I would consider that taking my eye off the prize. So until then, I just need to continue to motivate myself to do what I intend to do, no matter what the circumstance. The people of Japan, Egypt (thank you for checking into my last blog post) and other Middle Eastern countries did not expect the events that had happened to their country at the beginning of 2011. They have shown a resilience to move in a direction towards shared prosperity and freedom. Whether it is rebuilding or reorganization, their vision isn’t blurred for what they can achieve in the future even if it isn’t immediately foreseeable. And neither is mine


This brings me to a Bible verse that I recently stumbled upon. 2 Corinthians 4:18:

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Now whatever religious conviction you have, or what life philosophy you prescribe to, we can all agree that this text gives encouragement to those with vision and are in a pursuit of a goal. For me, this is not just for running, but in everything I pursue. Sometimes, things come up, adversity comes our way and setbacks keep popping up. But this doesn’t stop the pursuit.

The United States has been afflicted with the worst economy in any of our lifetimes and many people are feeling the strain while politicians in Washington D.C. argue and continue their stalemate. But I am convinced that what we see here is temporary. Staying true to our principles and vision for the future is eternal and will always prevail. Success is a habit not a destination. Freedom isn’t free and will require each generation to renew their commitment to its pursuit. Crossing that finish line will only be a continuation of the steady path towards freedom, embodied in my runner’s lifestyle. 


No comments:

Post a Comment