Search This Blog

Monday, December 27, 2010

A Fitting End to 2010

Today, my running mentor reminded me about my marathon training. I have to admit, I have had my mind off of running since supporting a close friend in the NYC marathon. I promised myself that I would train, possibly running the Washington DC National Marathon in March. An occasional three miles here and there doesn't count for training according to what I'm used to. During these runs, I get so tired as they, on average, take me about thirty minutes to complete with two stops for water (mile 1 and mile 2 and a quarter) along the way. So what happened? Where is my motivation? What happened to the man that spent every moment of the day with running either his main priority or in the back of his mind as he continued his ambitious daily agenda? Reflection happened.


Up until recently, it has been nonstop activity for me. Business, Global Affairs, Engineering, Running, Volunteering, Friends, et cetera, et cetera. But natural and man-made events have definitely put a damper on these activities. Earthquake, Hurricanes,  Diseases, Tornadoes, Record Heat, and Blizzard, all occurred close to home in 2010. Makes you sit back and think how little control you have on what goes on around you, no matter how much work you put in to your routine.


For example: As New York City is blanketed in 20 inches of snow, it made me think of my time living through the harsh Michigan winters and driving through the Cascade Mountains during my winters in Washington to catch a flight in Seattle. In both those times, I can recall seeing workers (mostly private contractors) relentlessly plowing highways and streets to beat the accumulation so that the drivers are not hindered in their mobility. Here in New York City, 18-wheelers get stuck making turns on major boulevards due to piles of shoveled snow, transit buses stuck on unplowed streets, and subway trains cancelled... all paralyzing most of the city that relies heavily on the local government to ensure economic liveliness. But this isn't a discussion over free-market capitalism vs. a socialist welfare state. Rather it only shows that regardless of planned activity, the environment always has a major say in your productivity.


Two years ago, training in New Jersey, and last year training in Boston, I would have ignored these natural elements and continue training with determination (and a little bit of luck) to accomplish my goals. This year.. with all these extreme weather phenomenons taking place... not so much. Environment wins.


So as 2010 comes to a close, I can't help but consider this roller coaster year and watch how the environment forces us to slow down and prioritize what is important. What is important to me is my loved ones near and far... and friends scattered across the planet, continuing to share their lives with me on a daily basis. I give credit to this year's weather events for helping me to see this. And it is only right that the year end in New York City with a rare blizzard paralyzing the robustness of this international city and forcing us all to reflect.


Happy New Year 2011.
-David Fanfan



No comments:

Post a Comment